POMOnks

Did you exchange a walk on part in a war for a lead role in a cage?

Sunday, September 04, 2005

The Life and Death of a Saint


In some ways I feel silly writing a post this intimate about a man who I knew for such a short time. When my friend Larkin called me Saturday morning and told me of Dr. Claypools passing, I found myself hanging up the phone with tears running down my cheeks. I sat in the cabin unable to express emotion in any other way than gentle sobs. This is a man I have only known for a year, and it felt like I was loosing a mentor, pastor and long time friend. That is what type of man John Claypool was. Meekness and Humility resonated in everything he said and more importantly everything he did. When I would preach sermons in his class, my feelings of inadequacy and trivialness were always overcome with his encouragement and smile. Although tired and often sick from his treatments he always made time after class, not just to answer questions but more so to ask them. He was ever a student, not just of homiletics and theology but more so a student of humanity. He was personal, he wanted to know who you are and what you love. He made, in the year that I had the privelage of knowing him, one of the deepest marks in my soul of anyone I have ever encountered.
In his last days of class he talked to us about death a lot. He knew death was coming soon and he had no problems greeting it when it did. I remember the last thing he said to us at lunch on our last day with him. He said the only thing that scares him about death is having to leave his friends, us. He spoke of his wife Ann, his students and the countless people whose lives have brushed against his, and he said not being with you all is what I fear. Once again I feel completely inadequate writing about a man with whom I spent such a short time. I feel though, I have to add my voice to thousands of others in tribute and thankfulness to the life of this saint. Thank you God of peace, thank you for this special gift to our world. Thank you for his example of grace, trust and love that we had the privelage to experience. Thank you for his ability to take away any excuse of bitterness one could carry in life, and replace it with love and humility. Thank you for the gift of your Saint, John Claypool. Amen

1 Comments:

At 10:22 AM, Blogger Brett said...

John, which I can feel I can call him only because of how compassionate he was as professor to student, was all those things you said Stephen. He was simply the best. I thought I had been around some greats in my short time, but Claypool showed me quickly that while those people were good, he was better because he understood something of communicating redemption. If redemption could fall from the sky like rain, Claypool would be the one setting out cups to catch it so that he could then hand them out to us. He was amazing in doing this every single day.
I loved your e-mail Stephen. It really did capture much of someone very difficult to define.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Canon Digital Camera