POMOnks

Did you exchange a walk on part in a war for a lead role in a cage?

Thursday, June 01, 2006

The Seeger Sessions

A few weeks ago, I heard a story on NPR about Bruce Springsteen's new album, The Seeger Sessions. While I am not typically a huge folk music fan, this combination of progressive folk & rock is very compelling. Springsteen has increasingly become politically active, and these songs are a neat way to get a message across. The songs range from Irish antiwar ballads to Virginia Minstrels to Negro Spirituals. I found that I could not get the song "O Mary Don't You Weep" out of my head, nor did I want to. One line in this song reads, "Pharoah's army got drown-ed." I like this line because Pharoah was The Man. This song gives me hope that The Man in my life, too, will "get drown-ed." I am even thinking about using this as a camp song for youth to sing and put actions to. So if you're looking for some good music, this is definitely worth checking out.

1 Comments:

At 7:24 PM, Blogger ChrisMooreMusic said...

I have to admit, as a BIG fan of recent Bruce Springsteen songs, I haven't piked up the Seeger Sessions yet. I really do like cover songs in moderation, but I wasn't sure that I could go a whole album without a Springsteen original. Maybe I'll give it a shot...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Canon Digital Camera