POMOnks

Did you exchange a walk on part in a war for a lead role in a cage?

Monday, June 12, 2006

A Good Question, A Great Book...

I promised myself that I would not read any other books this summer until I had completed The Brothers Karamazov. Well, so much for that promise. Last week I read a review in The Christian Century of Barbara Brown Taylor's new book, Leaving Church that intruiged me. I felt drawn to read this book. So this past weekend I got to do something that I love...I started the book on Friday afternoon and finished Sunday evening.

This book takes the reader through the highs and lows of Taylor's priesthood. Involved in the formal discernment process in the Episcopal Church myself, I have read many books about discernment. The only book on this topic that I have ever found helpful was Parker Palmer's little gem, Let Your Life Speak, which contains many nuggets of Quaker wisdom. That is, until I read Leaving Church. This is a book that anyone who is considering the ordained ministry should read. And if you are not, this book is still a wonderful memoir of vocation. I simply cannot say enough about this book. I do want to share one of my favorite parts:

"Many years ago now, when I was invited to speak at a church gathering, my host said, 'Tell us what is saving your life now.' It was such a good question that I have made a practice of asking others to answer it even as I continue to answer it myself. Salvation is so much more than many of its proponents would have us believe..." (pp.225-226) Taylor goes on to share what is saving her life right now.

She then goes on to say, "Although we might use different words to describe it, most of us know what is killing us." I have found these to be helpful questions...What is saving your life right now? What is killing you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Canon Digital Camera