POMOnks

Did you exchange a walk on part in a war for a lead role in a cage?

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Requiem

This past Sunday, Palm Sunday, the combined choirs of St. Mary's & St. Luke's Episcopal Churches performed Mozart's Requiem. With over 70 voices and an orchestra, the choirs mastered this beautiful piece. The word "requiem" means "rest," and is traditionally used to refer to a mass for the dead.

One line, in particular, stood out to me in the Requiem...

Recordare, Jesu pie,
Quod sum causa tuae viae


Translated this means, "Remember, Blessed Jesus, that I am the cause of Thy pilgrimage." I often think of pilgrimages as something for the rest of us, not for Jesus. A pilgrimage means you are searching for something. Imagine Jesus on a pilgrimage whose destination is us! The phrase, "remember that I am the cause of thy pilgrimage," could also be taken as Jesus speaking to us. Jesus is the cause of our searching, our yearnings, our wonderings.

This Requiem was performed to celebrate the 250th anniversary of Mozart's birth. Sitting there, listening to this amazing music gave me a sense of perspective on the Church & my own pilgrimage.

Qui Mariam absolvisti
Et latronem exaudisti
Mihi quoque spem dedisti

(Thou who didst absolve Mary Magdalene
And didst hearken to the theif
To me also hast Thou given hope)

4 Comments:

At 10:07 PM, Blogger Mary Liz Ingram said...

This is a beautiful Lenten post, I love the idea of Jesus' pilgrimage to us. At first I want to reject the theology of it because of the potential for an individualistic theology, but the image of Jesus traveling towards us and not just a cross is a refreshing thought in this season where we focus on the Death of out friend and brother Christ. Nice Job!
Pax
Stephen

 
At 1:05 AM, Blogger Darrell Grizzle said...

I think almost any spiritual truth has the capacity to be turned into individualistic theology. That doesn't make it any less truthful, though. Jesus is indeed the cause of our searching, our yearnings, our wonderings -- his pilgrimage toward us and our pilgrimage toward him. He is the Divine Beloved, our Elder Brother who invites us to follow him in resurrection. In the words of the Sufis, "Die before death, and resurrect now!"

Sorry -- didn't mean to start preaching. I just posted one of my favorite poems about Easter on my Blog of the Grateful Bear, and it reminded me of the reality of this holy season.

Thanks, guys, for a wonderful blog! I live in metro Atlanta, too; we should get together for coffee sometime.

~ Grateful Bear

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Mary Liz Ingram said...

Bear,

Where did that Sufi quote come from? I really like it. I completly agree that any theology has the potential to become individualistic, I believe its alot of our jobs to remind people in a society that leans that way, that is not always the best way. We would love to get together sometime. Both Brad and I are going to Princeton Next week to study at their Institute for Youth Ministry. Hopefully sometime after that would be good.
Pax
Stephen

 
At 1:34 AM, Blogger Darrell Grizzle said...

The Sufis actually have quite a bit to say about resurrection! Here's my favorite Sufi poem, by Rumi:

I called through your door,
“The mystics are gathering
in the street. Come out!”

“Leave me alone.
I'm sick.”

“I don’t care if you're dead!
Jesus is here, and he wants
to resurrect somebody!”

--

When you get back from Princeton, drop me an email!
gratefulbear [at] comcast.net.

~ Darrell

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Canon Digital Camera