POMOnks

Did you exchange a walk on part in a war for a lead role in a cage?

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Following Jesus may become dangerous again


I wouldn't call myself the most politically active Christian. I don't believe that the kingdom of God will be ushered in by the leadership of Republicans or Democrats. But the recent immigration debate has caught my interest. This article offers a good summary of the issues at stake. I would love for the House bill to pass because of the comical nature enforcing the proposed law. If it was suddenly illegal for churches to give food to undocumented immigrants, I would stand in line to be arrested for aiding the stranger. The government closing down soup kitchens, clothing banks, and clinics would be the best PR the church could ever get. Leave it to the American Government (currently under the sway of conservative evangelicals) to make following Jesus dangerous again.

2 Comments:

At 10:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man that is crazy, good article Adam. How awesome would that be to be arrested for giving a mexican guy a sandwich? Count me in, I would love to go to jail, our church fined and whatever else they could throw at us for the sake of loving the least of these! I want to do some research and see who chose to come down on churches and not heavily increase the penalties and enforcement for contractors who use illegal workers that would make more sense to me. Once again, great article!

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger Brad and Elizabeth said...

Yes, I am amazed at our short sighted arrogance. Have we so quickly forgotten that America is a nation of immigrants? In a sick way, I'd really like to see the fallout in the economy if all immigrant workers were to be deported. Talk about a crash!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Canon Digital Camera