POMOnks

Did you exchange a walk on part in a war for a lead role in a cage?

Thursday, June 09, 2005

Judge Stephen

This week I had the experience of serving on two different juries. In my time of service I served on two criminal trials. They both were for the drug Methamphetamine. I am not writing about the problem of this drug, although there is a serious problem.
This was my first time in the jury box and the entire time I thought to myself, “Man, I wonder what they are going to decide on this one?” Then I realized, “Oh Shit!?! I have to decide on the next 10 to 20 years of this mans life” Judging and deciding another’s possibly next 2 decades is a gut wrenching process. I was literally torn with feelings of duty and grief. I knew he was guilty but wanted him to be innocent, to have a second chance, to be able to experience freedom tomorrow, but he was not and did not go to sleep that night a free man. I had no reason to feel sorry for him, to have sympathy or to want freedom for him, but I did.
As I walked out of the Court that afternoon some words of a high school friend came bursting into my head, “God’s glory is shown when those who are not His chosen receive their eternal punishment.” I disagreed with him then and I am completely offended now. I believe God loves God’s creation, not only loves but is in love with it. I did not know this man on trial and I hurt to the deepest part of my soul. It is so difficult for me to look at God the same way as I was told I had to.
I do not know if I think that God hates judgment or punishment but I am convinced that God does not enjoy it if God does it. I am not a universalist, at least not yet, but give a couple of more jury duties under my belt and check back with me then.
Pax
Stephen

1 Comments:

At 2:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peace I am your name sake mine pronounced ste-fin.......... anyway this is a very interesting blog sir and I do agree with you the Most High is the creator of us all..Correct...? If this is true then why would he punish anyone for being what he made them...?
It seems true to me, that each individual has ben giving free will wich I think is equal to what we call thought! This thought or idea we have comes from within then is expressed without on our physical plane of excistance.
Action and Reaction are facts of life it is part of that free will we have ben blessed with and it can be a double edged sword. for we are free so free we can harm ourself If we so will it to be or think it to be.
As for your paticular situation we also have the power to show compasion or have understanding of anothers situation for where we see a situation at when we arrive did not appear when we got there it like everything eles took some action and reactionary forces put to work first to cause the situation to arise. Practicing understanding in my opinion is simply leaving our minds open by not passing judgement for we may not always understand the reason or content of a paticular situation but we can use our compasion with the understanding i just explained for we all are a product of our past..... descisions or thoughts that sorounded our lives up untill the point in question.

So Yes there was a BIG reason in my opinion for you to feal empathy for that persons conviction.

Also from another perspective i dont think our judicial system gives fare punishment for simple drug users and petty pushers who are both usualy trying to get out of some sort of dire situation they both suffer from the same issue Natural instinct to survive
User is driven for the need to relieve what ever built up negative emotion has consumed thiere life. The pusher is usualy suffering from a feeling of inadicuacy of some sort or as if he has no way out of his poverished situation or he maybe consumed with the yearning for power. These root emotions are the real issue not DRUGS! You cant stop people from using drugs and if you cant stop them from using you cant expect someone who needs a way to survive to not sell the users what they will find anyway. Thats just what any speices of physical being has to do. Iam in no way condoning the use of Harmeful drugs or the selling there of..... just the approach we take in dealing with the issues that stem from obviously if you look in any inner city dosent work!
20 years for selling some dope is rediculous Ive seen people get 5 yrs for murder or attempted murder and get a year Ive seen rapist get 1 year and released on paroll.
Mankind as a whole is naturally easaly addicted to things for we are the altumit in habbit forming creatures
LOL YAH-WAH(jesus) first miracle was water made into wine at a PARTY!!!!!
My email is ovenhotstudios@yahoo.com i like to discuss life spirtuality and polotics I am a big researcher of all things history space, religion peace

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Canon Digital Camera