POMOnks

Did you exchange a walk on part in a war for a lead role in a cage?

Sunday, June 05, 2005

How do we practice what we preach?

A good friend and reader of this blog, Patrick Devane, was recently called to pastor a church in Thomson, GA. Congratulations to him and Megan. This pastorate will require him to live in Thomson while still commuting here to Atlanta a good portion of the time. He and Megan are finishing their last semester of seminary this fall. Megan will be staying here in Atlanta probably three or four nights a week and Patrick probably two nights a week. Megan and Patrick are planning on keeping their apartment here in Atlanta as well as having somewhere to live in Thomson. Jana and I have already told Megan any night she doesn't want to sleep in an empty apartment she's welcome to stay in our spare bedroom. I had the passing thought of telling Patrick and Megan to just stay at our place and ditch the Atlanta apartment. It was only a passing thought until Jana said the same thing without knowing that it had been on my mind.

You see, two things I get on my soapbox about are living in community and being good stewards of resources. Jana and I do consider Megan and Patrick to be a part of our faith community, so shouldn't we make this offer to them? Is it a good use of our resources(space) for me and Jana to have an extra bedroom while Patrick and Megan use their resources(money) to maintain what may be unneeded space?

The offer has been made and everyone seems to agree it's a good idea in theory. The question is how do we make it work in practice? How do we share the space of our apartment and not get on each others' nerves? It's agreed that if any party decides this is not a good idea we won't go through with it and there will be no hurt feelings. But it seems like its the right thing to do. So how do we pull this off? Any thoughts ranging from theological to practical will be accepted. Megan and Patrick feel free to read and comment as well.

Adam

2 Comments:

At 2:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adam, the most interesting aspect of your offer for me was how unusual it was. I think we have developed a church culture that is, at best, barely hospitable to true community. We have defined community in terms of sameness and morality, forgetting any aspect of community in terms of the larger world and the resources we are using.
I think that anything worth doing takes work, it is a royal pain sometimes living alone or just with your "significant other," so thinking about the problems that may come from living together doesn't strike me as much more complicated, only different. There is grace involved with (peacefully) living with anyone else, we would do well as Christians to more closely model that grace as individuals and as "community."

 
At 11:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a great picture of what tends to be a misunderstanding in our Christian Culture, smiling happy people holding hands does not make community. When I lived with my Dad, I fought with my Dad, when I lived with my sister I fought with my sister, I live with my wife and guess what I fight with my wife. Am I a sadistic bastard who loves to fight? NO! I am living in community.
Now granted in all those situations there was alot more to the relationship besides conflict, but conflict has and always will play an important role in my close relationships, if it does not then I question how close I am letting others to my soul. Long story short, Megan will yell at Adam, Jana will get frustrated with Patrick and Patrick will practice his Bear wrestling on Adam, He must train for the Bachelor Party. Conflict is a part of community, but thank God so is love.

Pax
Stephen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Canon Digital Camera